Today’s recipe video features THREE yummy vegan BBQ recipes that are perfect to bring with you and share on your next summer barbecue (or potluck)! Make sure to watch the video and then visit back here for the written recipes~
If you’re a new vegan, one of the biggest worries that you could have in the beginning is being invited to a summer BBQ! Of course, let’s go with the expectation that most of the people coming over are non-vegans, hence there won’t be a guarantee that the hosts will be serving vegan-friendly food (unless of course, they know that you’re vegan and made the sweet gesture of including vegan food in their summer barbecue menu!).
Worst case scenario, you’ll end up needing to bring a snack with you, or you’ll end up eating out after. I don’t like either of those situations – I’m a big fan of being able to participate in all the different activities with a vegan twist.
So my advice is to try out these yummy Vegan Summer BBQ Recipes that you can potentially share with your non-vegan friends! (Trust me, they’ll LOVE it!)
Excited to try out these Vegan Summer BBQ Recipes? Don’t forget to watch the video above for visuals, and to scroll down for the ingredients and written instructions!
Tempeh Marinade Skewers
- 1 package plain tempeh (around 250g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or alternative
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Veggies of choice. (I used: red onion, bell pepper, mushroom, zucchini)
- Cut tempeh into small cubes, and veggies into large chunks.
- Steam tempeh for 15 minutes.
- While the tempeh is steaming, make the marinade by mixing together soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, liquid smoke, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Once tempeh has finished steaming, place in a wide container and pour over the marinade. Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour (or even overnight) to allow the marinade to soak in.
- Prepare skewers with your favourite vegetables to grill and your tempeh pieces.
- Grill the skewers on a barbecue grill (or on a pan) and enjoy. The marinated tempeh pieces can sit in the fridge for a few days so feel free to enjoy them in a stir fry or anything else if you have extra!
- 1/2 package of dry macaroni (around 250g)
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2-3 dill pickles, diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup cashew mayo (ingredients below) OR use store-bought vegan mayo with a bit of dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the Cashew Mayo:
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp yellow or dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Boil cashews for around 15-20 minutes to soften (alternatively, you could soak them in water overnight). Skip this step if you are using store-bought vegan mayo.
- While the cashews are boiling, chop carrots into chunks and grate them in a food processor. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop celery and onion into chunks and grate them in the same food processor. Place into the same mixing bowl.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
- Once cashews have boiled, add into a blender along with the other Cashew Mayo ingredients and blend on high until smooth. Skip this step if you are using store-bought vegan mayo.
- Drain and rinse cooked macaroni in cold water and add into the large mixing bowl, along with the vegetables.
- Add in a cup of Cashew Mayo (or store-bought vegan mayo), diced dill pickles, green peas, and sugar. Mix well and add more mayo or salt & pepper if needed.
- Top with chopped green onions and serve. Enjoy!
Grillable Bean Burger
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or alternative
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce (use a GF barbecue sauce if needed)
- In a small bowl, mix together flax seeds + water and set aside to thicken.
- In a pan, toast walnuts lightly. Put into a food processor & process until chopped. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- In the same pan, add oil then saute onion and garlic for a minute then add grated carrots and cook for another few minutes. Add into the mixing bowl.
- In the food processor, add rolled oats and pulse a few times until mostly ground. Add into the mixing bowl.
- Now add beans into the food processor and pulse a few times (around 2-3) until gently mashed. Do not overblend. Add into the mixing bowl.
- Into the mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients in. Mix well.
- Shape into burger patties (I used ½ cup measurements for each patty), wrapping each with cling wrap and refrigerating for a bit until firm. (You can also freeze these to eat for later).
- Grill patties with a little oil and assemble into a burger before serving. Enjoy!