For today’s #munchingmondays episode, I decided to veganize a dish I saw on another YouTube channel… This was so good, I made it again the next day! Watch the video below to learn how to make it & scroll down for the written recipe.
I’m a big fan of trying to veganize otherwise non-vegan dishes but doing it in an easy way. I feel like with a little bit of creativity, we can recreate so many non-vegan dishes to make them 100% plant-based!
This dish I made is called “Spam Mayo Dup Bap”. The term Dup Bap in Korean (I believe) indicates a rice dish with a mixture of other ingredients on top of the rice. There are many kinds of “dup bap” in Korea and I was specifically intrigued by this one. By the sound of it and the first glance, it’s pretty much the most non-vegan thing you could possibly have. But it’s actually super easy to recreate these flavours! So here we have…
Vegan Spam Mayo Rice.
I enjoyed this so much the first time I made it (which was when I filmed the video!) that I made it again the next day! I definitely think this would make such a perfect weekend brunch… or weekday brunch – do we even distinguish weekends from weekdays nowadays?
NOTE: If you want to make this easier to make next time, I suggest mixing together a larger portion of the scrambled tofu seasoning (minus the dijon mustard) in a jar and labelling it “Scrambled Tofu Seasoning” – this will make your scrambled tofu making SO MUCH EASIER, as you can just take out one jar of seasoning. I’m going to be doing a video on this hack because it seriously is a game changer.
Now, let’s get cooking!
Vegan Spam Mayo Rice Recipe
Ingredients (one serving):
- 1-2 tbsp vegan butter or vegetable oil
- 1 serving of cooked rice
- 1-2 tbsp vegan mayo drizzle (vegan mayo thinned with water) **
- 1/4 block (150g) medium firm tofu
- 1-2 stalks green onion, chopped
- Scrambled tofu seasoning:
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard (optional)
- Vegan Spam:
- 1/4 block (around 60g) smoked tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- Onion stir fry:
- 1/4 onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp mirin (optional)
** I used the Hellman’s brand & added a little water to thin it out – then placed in a squeeze bottle to drizzle. But you can just add a spoonful if you’re too lazy for this… no one is judging!)
- Heat a small amount of vegan butter in a pan on medium-high heat then crumble the medium-firm tofu up with your hands.
- Cook tofu for a few minutes, mixing once in a while, to allow the tofu to slightly brown.
- Add in the scrambled tofu seasoning ingredients and mix well. If the mixture sticks, add a small splash of water. Set aside on a plate.
- On the same pan, add another small amount of vegan butter then add the smoked tofu.
- Cook for a couple of minutes then add soy sauce and agave nectar. Mix well until nicely coated. Set aside.
- On the same pan, add a little more vegan butter if needed (or use the leftover grease already on the pan) and add the sliced onions. Sautee for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add in soy sauce and mirin to the onions, if desired, for additional flavour. Set aside.
- On a large serving plate, add cooked rice to the middle portion and then place the scrambled tofu around the rice. then on top of the rice, add the cooked onions then place the Vegan Spam on top. Drizzle with the Vegan Mayo Drizzle and top with green onions (optional). Watch the video to see how I plated it!
- Enjoy while still warm…!