Watch video above to see how I made the burgers and see below for the written recipe!
I sometimes (albeit, rarely) get these moments when I feel a strong urge to make something. This was one of those moments. I had no plans on making a burger OR filming a video, for that matter. But I woke up one morning last week and just felt a strong desire to make a burger. I just really wanted one. And I could visualize it! I visualized a vegan Italian-style burger made with TVP (textured vegetable protein – kind of like the “ground beef” of vegan stuff). So of course, I just had to do it. I went to the store, got some stuff and despite my busy schedule, I whipped these bad boys up.
Of course, I filmed it for you guys so you could also join me in this burger making journey. This was my first take – as usual, I didn’t really test out the recipe before I made it. It worked out (other than a little burning…).
Watch the video above for the recipe and see below for the written ingredients and instructions.
Vegan Italian Style TVP Burger Patties Recipe
Ingredients (about 2-4 patties):
Many ingredients are from Thrive Market – an online wholesale retailer, specializing in natural and organic products. Get 25% off already discounted groceries, PLUS a free trial today using this link (US only).
- 3/4 cup + 1tbsp pasta sauce/tomato sauce
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1/2 tsp each of spices: dried basil, oregano, onion, garlic salt, smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup oat flour (if you don’t have oat flour, grind up oats to make oat flour)
- 3 tbsp sweet potato puree
- 2 tbsp flour
- Add pasta sauce in a sauce pan on medium heat, along with TVP, spices, 1/4 cup water.
- Bring to a soft boil and turn stir well, turn heat off. cover and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add in oat flour, flour, sweet potato puree and mix well.
- Cook on medium heat on each side for 5 minutes.