Looking for a vegan egg patty or recipe for tofu fried egg? This tofu “egg” patty recipe is easy to make in 7 mins using 3 ingredients with the option to make a vegan egg yolk!
If you’d like to make more of a vegan fried egg with yolk, you can use my fried tofu patty for the fried egg base and use my friend Mary’s recipe for a vegan egg yolk (which I used on top of my vegan egg patty).
Recipe for Vegan Egg Patty
This vegan egg patty mimics the taste of a fried egg. All you need to do is cook some pan-fried tofu with black salt (kala namak) to get that eggy taste and texture.
By using thin slices of medium-firm tofu, it helps mimic the texture of a real fried egg. Frying with oil adds that slight crispness on the outside, but still soft on the inside making it a great vegan option for a tofu fried egg.
This recipe is high in protein and perfect for high protein meal prep ideas for the week!
- Tofu (Medium firm)
- Black salt (kala namak)
- Optional: Vegan Egg Yolk
How To Make Tofu Fried Egg (Vegan)
Start by heating oil on a non-stick pan on medium high heat. Slice medium-firm tofu into large thin circles, rectangles, or squares depending on your preference for an egg patty.
Next, fry the tofu slices on each side for around 3-4 minutes until slightly golden. Sprinkle some black salt (kala namak) on each side of the egg patty to get that eggy flavour. If you don’t want it super “eggy” just sprinkle a little bit of kala namak on one side of the vegan egg patty.
While the pan-fried tofu is cooking, you can make the “yolk” by following Mary’s Test Kitchen’s recipe.
Vegan Egg Patty (Tofu Fried Egg)
- 1 Knife
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 pack Tofu medium-firm, cut into large thin circles, rectangles or squares based on your egg patty preference
- 1/2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt also called Kala Namak. Use less or more depending on how much "eggy" flavour you want
- Vegan Egg Yolk
- Start by heating oil on a non-stick pan on medium high heat. Slice medium-firm tofu into large thin circles, rectangles, or squares depending on your preference for an egg patty.
- Next, fry the tofu slices on each side for around 3-4 minutes until slightly golden. Sprinkle some black salt (kala namak) on each side of the egg patty to get that eggy flavour. If you don't want it super "eggy" just sprinkle a little bit of kala namak on one side of the vegan egg patty.
- While the pan-fried tofu is cooking, you can make the "yolk" by following Mary's Test Kitchen's recipe.
NEED MORE VEGAN EGG INSPO? CHECK THESE OUT:
8 thoughts on “Vegan Egg Patty (Tofu Fried Egg Recipe)”
This is a simple dish but tastes very egg like. I would definitely recommend. Kala Namak is a must for everyone.
Kala namak is so great to replace the taste of eggs. Thank you for your comment 🙂
Probably the easiest vegan egg recipe I’ve tried- a couple of the others are too complicated and ended up disappointing. This one is simple yet effective. Tastes very similar to an egg especially with the yolk. Thank you!
Delicious and simple! Kala namak is the best.
Not going to lie, I thought this was too simple. At the same time I love simple recipes and this did not disappoint! I made the yolk a couple of times too (very good and realistic) but I often just make egg white part and it’s so good as a fried egg substitute thanks to the texture and the flavour from black salt. I like to cut my tofu up quite thin to make it more realistic and crispy. Thank you for the recipe!
Love it. Black salt for eggy flavour is so smart. Keep making these great recipes thanks.
So yummy! I added some gochujang sauce I had leftover. Super yummy !