Watch video above to see how I made this delicious rice bowl!
If you guys know me but at all, you would know that I could eat rice any time of day. I’m Korean so eating rice for breakfast isn’t anything out of the ordinary for me. I had this idea to create a breakfast style rice bowl, as I’ve seen a few of these around in the non-vegan world.
I decided to film myself trying to cook this for the first time – as part of my “Cook With Me” video series. The biggest “challenge” for me was trying to make a TOFU EGG. I decided to use soft tofu which I would coat in a mixture of spices and potato starch – I wanted to replicate that soft egg-white consistency… smooth, custardy type of texture.
I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, but here’s what I used to make the tofu egg:
- 1 small block soft tofu
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp potato starch or corn starch
What I did:
- Cut the tofu into six square pieces.
- Mix all other ingredients together in a plate.
- Coat each piece of tofu on each side with the mixture of spices.
- Add a generous amount of oil onto a non-stick pan on medium-high heat and cook the tofu on each side until nicely golden.
*If you watch the video, you’ll see that my tofu stuck to the pan quite a bit. I’m not sure what I could do to prevent the sticking, but here are some things that I will try in the future:
- Add a little water with potato starch to create a liquid. Mix dry spices separately onto a plate. Coat the tofu in the starch water first, then toss in the dry spice mixture – then proceed to cook on the pan.
- Dip the tofu into a non-dairy milk first, then dip it into the starch & spices mixture – then proceed to cook on the pan.
- Try cooking the tofu in an air-fryer!
There are many different options to try and make this tofu – you could also deep fry if that’s something you’re comfortable with! I just never deep fry anything so to me, that wasn’t something I was interested in.
For the bowl, I decided to add a mixture of different things – I LOVE having a variety of foods in one meal.
Here’s how I assembled the bowl:
- Brown rice
- Few pieces of smokey maple bacon tempeh (from Tofurky)
- Sauteed mushrooms and spinach with garlic salt
- Slightly cooked tomatoes
- Tofu Egg
- Topped with ketchup!
I know that rice for breakfast isn’t something you might be used to, but I urge you to give this a go! Or if you really can’t stomach it in the morning, you could always have this for lunch or dinner – who says you can’t have breakfast style food all day, anyway?