Today is just me chilling and doing another taste test of an intriguing food product — the IKEA Plant Balls! To fully test it out (and just have a little fun), I also made a vegan version of the famous IKEA Dinner Plate so head on over to the video to watch (and don’t forget the recipe’s down below!).
Look what I got — the IKEA Plant Balls! I know I’m a little late to the party, but I’m happy to have finally tasted this popular ingredient!
If you don’t know, IKEA released a vegan version of their popular Swedish meatballs last year. You know me guys, I’m always late to trends which explains why I am only tasting this now.
So how does it taste? I pan-fried a few of them so I can try them on their own, and I am so amazed at how flavourful they are! I feel like I could actually eat it as a snack (or in Spaghetti & Meatless Balls), but to properly present them to you, I decided to use them to make a vegan version of the IKEA Dinner Plate (you know those cheap meals you can get at the Ikea stores?)!
Another one that I added into the mix is a vegan version of a Swedish gravy. I found this recipe online so if you’re making the dinner plate, you can simply follow the recipe I used for the gravy as well. Highly recommended!
Excited to see how I made it? Check out the video above if you prefer to watch and simply scroll down for the written recipe if you want to try it for yourself.
Vegan IKEA Dinner Plate
Ingredients (around 2 servings):
- Ikea Plant Balls (however much you want!)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- Splash of non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 servings of green beans
- Vegan Swedish gravy (simply follow this recipe)
- 2 servings of cranberry sauce
- Cook plant balls according to instructions.on a pan. Set aside.
To make the mashed potatoes:
- Peel and boil potatoes in salted water until softened.
- Once cooked, drain water and mash the potatoes.
- Add non-dairy milk and vegan butter. Mix well and season with salt & pepper.
To make the green beans side dish:
- Wash and cut up the ends of green beans.
- Cook in a small amount of oil with splashes of water until softened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
(NOTE: For the vegan Swedish gravy, simply follow this recipe)
For the assembly:
- Assembled everything on a dinner plate.
- Drizzle gravy over the plant balls and mashed potatoes.
- Serve with cranberry sauce. Enjoy!