For Episode 2 of my Cheap Food Expensive Energy series, I made a vegan gourmet ramen dish using instant noodles! Head over to the video below to watch and don’t forget to scroll down for the written recipe~
Vegan gourmet ramen — doesn’t it sound fancy? However, you don’t need to dine in a fancy high class restaurant because you can easily make this at home — using instant noodles!
Yes guys, that seemingly boring packet of instant ramen lying in your pantry can actually look like it came from a Michelin-starred restaurant (or just a somewhat decent restaurant…? Haha!). Of course, I didn’t have to go and buy some expensive ingredients because I am using my usual favourites — tofu, mushrooms, baby bok choy, and just some affordable goodies!
Excited to make your very own vegan gourmet ramen at home? Don’t forget to watch the video above and to scroll down if you want to know what ingredients I used!
Vegan Gourmet Ramen
- A pack of vegan-friendly ramen
- 500ml water
- 1 tsp oil (or more if desired)
- 4 squares of extra firm tofu
- 2-3 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 head baby bok choy
- ½ tbsp minced garlic
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped (optional)
- Black salt (kala namak)
- Coconut amino or soy sauce (add as much or as little as you want)
- ⅓ cup corn
- Few slices of nori (optional)
- Optional garnish: chopped green onions & sesame seeds
- Add water into a pot and bring to a boil. Add in the ramen noodles, seasoning, minced garlic, and chopped green onions (optional). Cook according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil on a pan and add tofu, mushrooms, and baby bok choy. Cover and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Flip mushrooms and tofu once browned. (Tip: You can make the tofu taste egg-like by sprinkling on some kala namak or black salt).
- For extra flavour, add in coconut amino to everything and mix well. Continue cooking until tofu and mushrooms are golden brown in color.
- Once the ramen has cooked, add into a serving bowl and top with the bok choy, tofu, and mushrooms.
- Top with corn and around three small sheets of nori (optional but highly recommended for fanciness!).
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve warm and enjoy!