It’s been a long time since I’ve had homemade waffles… and I believe this was my first time actually making VEGAN waffles myself. I’ve had very few waffles as a vegan and I don’t know why I never really thought about making my own. It’s actually ridiculously easy and if you don’t have a waffle maker, you could probably just use this recipe to make some easy pancakes!
I wanted to make it a coconut waffle, so I ended up using coconut milk although the taste of coconut was quite subtle. Feel free to sub whatever non-dairy milk you want.
Easy Vegan Waffles Recipe
Ingredients (around 2 large waffles):
- 1/2 cup oat flour + 3/4 cup all purpose (or you could just use 1 + 1/4 cup all purpose flour… I haven’t tried with other flours, but I think it would also work with whole wheat or spelt)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup light coconut milk or any other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp agave nectar, maple syrup or any other syrup
- Any toppings of your choice
- Add all dry ingredients (oat flour, all purpose flour and baking powder) into a large mixing bowl and combine well.
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl, mix all the wet ingredients (so everything that’s left) together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter in a lightly grease waffle maker and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Enjoy with delicious toppings of your choice! I generally like to add some berries and some sort of syrup.