Watch the video above to see how I made this super delicious and creamy udon alfredo!
I’ve always been a big fan of the idea of fusion – taking the cuisine of 2 or more cultures and bringing them together to create new delicious dishes. After all, we have so much to learn from one another when it comes to cooking – we have our strengths, we have our weaknesses. Bringing some of the best things from different cultures together can only create better things!
Case in point – Creamy Udon Alfredo. I’ve wanted to incorporate udon noodles into traditionally pasta dishes for so long and I got around to trying it out. I made a simple alfredo sauce made from minimal ingredients that tastes AMAZING and mixed it in with some udon noodles – which is a Japanese style of thick noodle.
The result was nothing short of magic. The creaminess of the alfredo sauce (which, by the way, is completely oil free!) went so well with the chewy starchiness of the thick udon noodles. I would have this over other Italian pasta noodles any day (sorry, spaghetti, I still love you).
This is 100% vegan, which might be hard for some people to believe. The taste is beyond this world and I will make this again and again…
Creamy Udon Alfredo Recipe (Oil Free, Vegan)
Ingredients (approx. 2 servings):
- 2 servings of udon noodles – I cooked the dry kind
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked or boiled for about 20 minutes)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- Soak the cashews overnight OR boil them for about 20 minutes to soften them.
- Cook the udon noodles according to instructions (once done, drain, but don’t rinse).
- In a pan or wok, cook the onions with the vegetable broth on medium-high heat for about 6-7 minutes, until the onions have softened and most of the broth is gone.
- Add in the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add the mixture along with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, miso paste, non-dairy milk and the soaked cashews into a blender.
- Blend on high until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Watch my video above to see what else I added to my dish.