Watch video above to see just how easy it is to make this FIVE INGREDIENT creamy & delicious vegan butternut squash pasta! See below for the written recipe.
The other day, I discovered a bag of frozen butternut squash in my freezer. In the interest of getting rid of things in my kitchen (as I always have so much food in the kitchen… welcome to the life of a “foodtuber”!), I decided to use it up and make a creamy butternut squash pasta.
I’ve had creamy butternut squash pasta before but it’s probably been a long time since I’ve actually made a dish using butternut squash. I’m usually quite lazy (surprised?) so if I have to peel/chop butternut squash, I run for the hills. So having a frozen bag of ready-to-use butternut squash helped so much!
I knew that I wanted to make a simple and easy sauce but I didn’t realize just how easy it would be. I had no idea the recipe would end up being SO simple. As I was trying to figure out what to add into the recipe, I realized all I really wanted to add were four ingredients for the sauce… JUST FOUR INGREDIENTS!
Because butternut squash already has a lovely and sweet flavour, I didn’t want to add too much to distract from that. So I kept it simple and the result was a delicious, simple and healthy sauce that is so satisfying that you probably won’t be able to stop eating.
I topped it off with a little bit of dry basil just for the aesthetics and I’m having my pasta with a side of pan-fried tofu with a bit of teriyaki sauce (coming soon in a “What I Ate in a Day” video).
You can, of course, add any more spices or other ingredients you wish – if you want a more “cheesy” flavour, then feel free to add some nutritional yeast. Like I said, I wanted to keep mine simple and take advantage of the flavours that were already present.
I hope you guys try this out – this is so easy, it’s ridiculous that I’m even doing a recipe video for this. But I know you love simple and easy to make recipes! As do I…
Five-Ingredient Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta (Oil-free & gluten-free option!)
Ingredients (approximately 2 servings):
- 2 servings pasta of your choice (use gluten-free if desired)
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight OR follow instructions below)
- 1 cup frozen butternut squash (already chopped & ready-to-eat)
- 0.5 tsp vegetable broth powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- If cashews were not soaked overnight (let’s face it – you forgot to do this!), simply add some water and boil them on the stove for about 15-20 minutes to soften them.
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- Microwave (or thaw/heat with your preferred method) butternut squash with a little splash of water for about a minute or two until it is heated/defrosted completely.
- Once cashews are softened, add cashews, butternut squash, vegetable broth powder and garlic powder into a high-speed blender or a food processor.
- Blend on high for a minute or longer until the mixture becomes creamy and smooth. Add a splash of water or non-dairy milk if needed to help blend everything together.
- Drain your cooked pasta and mix with the sauce and you are ready to eat!